Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Honduras, here we come!

We recieved official word today that we will, indeed, be going to Honduras! We´ve been planning on it all along, but it wasn´t official until now. Our swearing in date was pushed back a week to giveus some extra time for training. Of course, the situation could escalate at anytime and plans could change, but for now it looks like its actually going to happen. They say that Hondurans speak a lot slower than Dominicans, which is good, because I still can´t understand anybody here....

My life here can prettty much be summed up as: I can´t speak spanish, I can´t stop sweating, and I itch all over (mosquito bites plus heat rash = ick) haha, fun times...

Over the weekend I got to go to the beach (Bocachica). It was a lot of fun... the water was really shallow and warm.. it rained a little, but ended up being a really nice cool day. Last Thursday, we went to a car wash...which is more exciting than it sounds.. the car washes here are the place to hang out. They actually are car washes during the day, but the at night, they turn into bars. It was a lot of fun, and we got to try out our new found merengue and bachata dancing skills. Everywhere here plays really loud music. I´m lucky that my window faces away from the local shop (colmado) so I don´t get too much noise at night. Oh and last Wednesday, I think, we got to go into Santo Domingo.. They have a pedestrian street, just like good old c´ville!

The power and internet were both out all day today..it was pretty unbearably hot. Luckily this internet center has AC (must have a good generator) and somehow the internet is working :)

1 comment:

  1. Teresa, it's great to hear news from you. Sorry about the itching, though. I hope you get over it soon.

    We're in Ocean City, NJ this weekeknd. My flight was delayed last night. It took 3 hours to get from Laguardia to Philadelphia, via Baltimore.

    ReplyDelete