Friday, April 16, 2010

more English

Went to a little rural community, Las Delicias, on Thursday… I went with a guy who told me that this community had just gotten a handful of computers in their new community center, and they were hoping for someone to teach them basic computer skills. I was relatively excited to start, and I figured it’d be fairly easy, especially since I have a complete set of lesson plans and powerpoints from some previous volunteers. The community is gorgeous, too. Well, we get there, and he takes me to an elementary school. They don’t actually have any computers, but what luck, they need an English teacher. Perfect…

To make a long story short, the grand total is now 18 English classes a week.

Eighteen.

Five days a week.

18.

What have I gotten myself into?!?


I’m also completely sick of Honduran men. Just because I’m white, I’m somehow considered one of the most beautiful women in my community. And being beautiful is a perfectly legitimate excuse for a Honduran to fall in love with someone. Oh yeah, and age doesn’t matter, either. Nor does being married.

Needless to say, I’ve had a great week. …. I wish sarcasm was typeable….

Oh, my friends came back, though, haha. They were planning on staying at least a year up there, and ran out of money in a week. Good planning, guys. Cracks me up.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Teresa. I'm laughing. Is that OK? We could see the "Honduran men" problem some when we were there. And the Peace Corps literature sort of indicated that might be a problem. Sorry, I have no advice for you. Get a big stick? (If you don't remember the reference, ask.) Glad your friends came back. Do they have big sticks? Can they teach English? Apparently they shouldn't be asked to teach personal finance.

    ReplyDelete